Thursday, January 7, 2010

Writing about Thinking about Thinking about Writing

Over the past several posts, I've reflected on various aspects of writing and story creation. I've poked at word choice and character development and object significance. I've rambled about making stories satisfying and characters likable. And a question has occurred to me. I think it is a fair question and a question that needs to be asked. Do writers really think about this stuff?

I don't know. Maybe?

I think most of the other writers that I've had the pleasure to speak with would agree that when you are actually writing -- when the words are flowing from your brain to your fingertips to your keyboard or notepad -- don't stop. This is not the time to wonder about where to place the commas. That's what rewrites are for.

Me? I think about this stuff in the shower. I think about it when I'm taking long walks, wondering if my background characters need more screen time. When the resolution to my big conflict feels too easy. When the funny bits actually need to be, well, you know, funny.

All these reflections and ideas that we've been discussing are tools. Mostly I pull out the tool box when I think the story is broken. The story isn't ready until you say it is ready. There is always time for a few good repairs.

But I suppose there is also something to be said for craftsmanship. The carpenter who has a good set of tools and knows when to use them will make a better table, right from the start.

Thinking about writing, about the craft of writing and the tools of writing, can help improve your writing. How could it do otherwise?

3 comments:

Derek Daniels said...

I'm just a neophyte that hasn't thought much on these things before, but I'm beginning to. I'm here to learn, Sensei.

Unknown said...

Andrew, I am loving your posts. Thank you for letting us know about your project. Do you have any reading suggestions for those of us just getting into writing?

Fern Zimmerman

Andrew Dolbeck said...

Fern - there are lots of good books on writing. I enjoyed Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. Steven King's book On Writing should have been titled On Being Steven King, but once you get past the autobiogragphical stuff, the advice on writing is good.

Post a Comment